Friday, April 14, 2006

Increasingly uncommon inspiration


I’ve recently been reading a lot about Guerilla gardening. Not only was I inspired by the idea, but I was also reminded of a time when I unwittingly gardened guerilla style. . .

My friends and I were going to head to St. Catherines for the day, and had planned to hit up some old record shops, vintage stores, and grab a pita for dinner. Having arranged all this ahead of time, we had to drive to each friend’s house and pick them up before we left. While picking up Drawme I noticed that her father had been doing some gardening and had uprooted several chive plans which he was planning on throwing out. My reasons for picking up the chives and taking them in the car with us to St. Catherines, is not lost to the sands of time (however had I not, I wouldn’t have this wicked story you’re reading). When we got out of the car in St. Catherines I ran across the street and planted the chives in a garden outside a cat hospital. We took a picture of my friends and I standing beside it, and that was that.

Some months later, we decided to go back to St. Catherines. Once we were there, we remembered the chives! Not only were they still there, they had grown substantially since the time they had been re-planted! We took another picture and once again headed off, this time to get some ice-cream. After that, a few years passed before I was able to join the gang for another trip to St.Catherines. By that point none of us were very optimistic, and we were sure they wouldn’t have wintered very well. We were wrong. The chives were still there (and although still limp from the freshly melted snow, they appeared to have suffered no lasting ill effects. We took another picture (this time with chives in our mouths) and walked away, contented that our small contribution to this urban garden was alive and well.

Remembering this story has once again inspired me, and (I’m gonna try this one more time) if you would like to get involved in some guerilla gardening projects with me this starting soon, and running through the summer, I would love to hear from you. I have been in touch with a British gardening organization, and once I figure out how much interest there is, I might contact some Canadian organizations as well. PLEASE RESPOND IF YOU'RE INTERESTED!!

5 comments:

None said...

Ah. So this is what you were talking about last night...

I wouldnt mind participating, if girlfriends can join...as you know I do not keep the best care of plants, but if its a joint effort and involves being outside, I'm in.

What would you like to grow? When is the best time to get started?

Glow Worm said...

Does it matter that I will be in Guelph for the summer? I'd love to get in on it! After all, I've been gardening for almost two years now off and on!

Anonymous said...

Ah...silly Mano it was Burlington we planted the chives at. It was St. Catherines when you sold pinecones. As for Guerilla gardening, I could be convinced to be in. After all I have proclaimed this summer to be the Summer of Pat (how that is relevant I'm not sure just yet). Granted I will have to find somethings to keep me busy during the 4 months I plan on having off.
Peace

Unknown said...

so this is what you were talking about yesterday (almost a week ago). it sounds like it could be a culture jam...

... i'm in.

Hermano Rojo said...

I’m glad everyone is so interested. I’ll get some links together for those of you who aren’t in town, and those of us who are, we’ll be in touch.

Oh, thanks Pat for pointing out my slight factual errors.