Tuesday, February 21, 2006

51h 25m


Sunrises are really a beautiful thing, until you watch three of them consecutively without sleeping or sitting down. The ‘Tag The Tucson’ contest ended for me after 51 hours and 25 minutes of resting my left hand on the drivers side tail light.

Although I got to know lots of cool people I wouldn’t have otherwise met, and now have a great new story to tell, this event was one of the definitive ‘rough patches’ of my life. I hallucinated, I passed out on my feet, I have a vague recollection of doing a weird bum dance and being the sole person in the mall to find it funny. The square my hand was in changed shape in my mind, and lost all meaning at points.

Once the contest was done, I got a ride home, began crying (not because I was sad, but because I was exhausted), dropped Shannon off, bid by mom and brother adue and went to bed. Sometime while I was at the contest the power cord for our home phone was lost (nobody seems to know what happened to it) so I can’t turn the volume down. I was, as a direct result of this, woken up 4 times and got only 20 hours of interrupted sleep. I decided I was coherent enough the upon my last wakening to make some spaghetti and blog for a bit.

I’m not ashamed to say that I wouldn’t have made it nearly as far as I did if I didn’t have such wonderful friends and family pushing me farther and keeping me hydrated, caffeinated, reasonably coherent and fed. Thank you everyone!

3 comments:

Sazzmo said...

Quite the achievement sir...
As someone whose been up for more than 3 days straight before I can relate. Though honestly I was sitting, taking classes, writing 3 essays/12 journals/a group presentation, and trying not to pass out...

And I don't drink caffeine...

What place were you in overall?

Glow Worm said...

????
Do explain what this was about! I'm apparently out of the loop!

Cheers!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi Grayson:
This is a fellow competitor, Jean. I had soooo much fun with you and Chuck. Thanks to you two I made is longer than I could have. Love the singing. You were entertaining. Hope to see you in the mall sometime. Congratulations on getting so far!
Jean