Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Not so nutty after all!

Wingnut from Portland writes . . .

"I have [Wintertime Blues a.k.a. Seasonal Affective Disorder] . . . here's what works for me:

  • Right after you wake up, take a fifteen minute brisk walk around your neighborhood. Get your blood pumping.
  • Put yourself on a strict sleep schedule. Wake up early to get the maximum amount of light during the day.
  • Eat a good, healthy breakfast. I recommend something like this: Oatmeal with cranberries, raisins, nuts, and coconut milk and maple syrup. A cup of tea, but not coffee, because coffee will make you burn out early.
  • Eat lots of protein and minimize carbs. High carb foods like pasta will raise your serotonin quickly, but also give you a worse crash when that energy runs out. Protein is much more stablizing.
  • Foods to minimize: sugar, wheat (pasta, bread), sugary fruit, juice that contains sugar (orange juice esp. is bad for sustaining energy after the initial burst)
  • Foods to eat more of: meat and dairy (especially eggs), tofu and lentils for those who are vegan, coconut milk, vegetables and greens, nuts and seeds, potatoes, yams, beans.
  • Drink as much water as you can. Usually in winter people forget to keep hydrated, because it's cold and they're moving slower. But we need water at all times of the year!

Hope this helps. "

I do too Wingnut, well done!

2 comments:

Sazzmo said...

This wingnut can go to hell!!

Trying to make me suffer under more hours of the blinding and painful light?!

Well why don't they just stab me in the eye?!

How dare you follow this torturous person? Has he brainwashed you...?

Oh what happened to the innocent Grayson I once knew 4 years ago...?

Hermano Rojo said...

Hey, I think you're on to something.

Perhaps it's a lack of sunlight which is the cause of your particularly glum disposition!!

I think I cracked the code! Turns out life didn't want you to be happy!

Ouch, that's gotta hurt!