Thursday, May 11, 2006

Today’s Tip: Staycations

I learned this little technique from an episode of Corner Gas. (A show with a new connection to Brantford [not Toronto] Shhhh) In one episode Brent takes what he calls a staycation, where he sits in the sun, imagines he’s on a tropical vacation and writes postcards to all his friends. Seemed like a silly concept at first, but recently I've changed my mine. This past Monday Shabu and I went for a walk and took a staycation together on a patch of grass. We sat in the sun, closed our eyes and dictated postcards back and forth to each other. It was relaxing and all the day’s pressures and time constraints were temporarily ignored. The only thing that mattered was the sun, and our postcards. I had taken a trip to Lake Eerie, to a secluded cottage where I once stayed. Shabu went to a tropical Island where she was pooped on by a pigeon.

The point of a staycation (at least as I've come to see it) is not about the vacation, it’s about taking time for yourself. Just allowing yourself time to do things you enjoy (like lying in the sun) and collecting your thoughts. I’ve found a new park in Holmedale which doesn’t seem too busy and I think I might take another staycation there. I’m thinking Haiti this time. They’ve got a fascinating culture, and in my mind there are no militants.

9 comments:

Glow Worm said...

Hey! I've done this a lot of the times in my head, only I never really knew it had a name.....Just kind of daydreaming really. most of the times, I've gone back home and spent a month at my camp on the harbour. I've always had room for you guys too; so in all my staycation travels, The League (and Amy!) are always traveling with me!

None said...

Was it a pigeon? I thought it was an exotic bird of somesort...and I am pretty sure I wrote you about other crazy things I was up to, in which case you wrote me back to DUMP ME!!! Grrrr....

Hermano Rojo said...

Sorry babe, but you've got pigeon poop all over you, and some of your other 'adventures' were just too much to accept. It was swell while it lasted.

shann said...

grayson,
if you are home from your adventures, you and the hopefully cleaned up shannon should drop by saturday at 188 wellington for morgan's birthday ... it may not be Haiti but we are a fastinating species in its own right and i promise relaxing, friends, and drinks....
shannon

None said...

Hahah... well as much as i like bird poop stuck to me, i want my boyfriend back. i need him for tomorrow night because my friend at the book store is throwing a Buck and Doe for her sister. I wouldn't mind coming back to your guys place later on in the evening, if it isn't too late and Gray isn't too discombobulated ;)

Hermano Rojo said...

Hush, discombobulation isn't a certainty. Also, Morgan works 'till 9pm, so a late entry won't be uncalled for. I don't know about the OTHER buck and doe though. 2 parties might be enough.

None said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
None said...

amanda is working at john peel that night now so the other one is off...we won't be arriving to the first one till 8ish, so by late i was implying later then 9 but we'll play it by ear lova.

yeh you better not get crazy discombobulated because you will have to lead us the way. if i wake up in a ditch again i will be very upset. :P

shann said...

ok well ... you are certainly busy people but if possible drop by after 9 on saturday it would be good to see you both
shann