Monday, May 08, 2006

Sunday in the City

Yesterday Shabudabu and I sought adventure in the big city and before long found ourselves bidding bon voyage to my brother (who is now in Trois Rivieres) and heading off to meet our destinies. Kensington Market is a little neighbourhood in Toronto located just behind Chinatown. If you’re even slightly bohemian, you’ll find something cool hidden in one of the shops or sidewalk displays.

My path took me down crowded streets and into countless shops to purchase hemp for macrame, suede straps for bracelets, a postcards for a wall display and support for local activist groups. Shabu’s path took her in a slightly different direction, as she left the market and headed for the mall and a brand new haircut/colour/style. Thanks to some foresight and some e-mails Shabu was able to connect us with some good friends with whom we enjoyed a Chinese lunch and a (slightly more expensive) Thai dinner. Each experience was fantastic; and held surprisingly well maintained basement bathroom facilities.

I hope to repeat this experience again very soon, and look forward to my next opportunity to do so.

4 comments:

None said...

Ok the focus of my trip was not the hair appointment weenie butt. Must I remind you that I was at the mall for a total of 2 and a bit hours, while the rest of the morning (6 hours worth) was spent walking the streets and poking around? And then after the mall there was dinner, more walking, coffee drinking and cider tasting. ;)

p.s: i wore my funky necklace today...did you notice? we saw your friend with the funny name in that store.

Hermano Rojo said...

I never meant to insinuate that you spent too much time in the mall, or neglected the market. I also intentionally didn't mention that it took you 2 1/2 hours to get your hair done (which looks great btw).

I also noticed that you were wearing the necklace you bought. I actually commented on it, but I guess you didn't remember!!! ;)

None said...

Ah I see. It is all clear now. Although deep down I think you are still a weenie butt.

Sazzmo said...

You took that woman to our chinese place?!? That's where you told me I was special and then bled a lot...