Thursday, May 04, 2006

Another Glorious Thursday

I’ve always felt a certain connection to nature. Many of us do, but we all seem to have different ways of expressing it. Some express this connection in traditionally accepted ways, like gardening, reading books and magazines, hiking, biking, taking pictures, and spending time outside enjoying the weather. Others chose more involved expressions like tree sitting, guerilla gardening (one of my personal favourites), and political campaigns to support all manner of environmental causes. My brother has recently decided he would express his concern in the form of a hiking expedition to support the Bruce Trail.

For all of my talk, I have yet to plant a single seed. Even my window boxes are empty, devoid even of soil. I have however been working on a different project for a while. Nothing on the scale of my guerilla plans but none the less something that will express my own personal connectedness to the natural world. I’ve built a hat rack.

Built out of an old tree branch I found close to the fire pit in Caistor Centre it adds a certain charm to my tiny bedroom. The tools I used to create this masterpiece were simple and, in retrospect, not quite the best I could have used for the job. The flat side of the rack (the side that connects to the wall) has a slight curve to it making it difficult to hold tight to the plaster. I also mis-measured the screw holes which has also contributed to a weakened adhesion. Despite these few small imperfections, however, I’m very pleased with it. I think it gives my room a more rustic and earthy ambiance. Reminiscent of antlers hanging above a mantle. My own personal tribute to Gaia.

6 comments:

None said...

this post reminds me of the email i sent you yesterday :)

Hermano Rojo said...

Oooh, that's a good thing! What are you up to? I'm bored!

Glow Worm said...

Hey!
I recieved your comment on my blog site, but incase you don't get there to read my reply. I was hoping all of us (meaning: you, me, Al, Amy and Evan) should get together for when Chris returns from Nicaragua. He's sent me a couple of e-mails and it sounds like he'll have some great and touching tales to tell! I know he would love to see you and Evan too. He miss you guys (we all do!) He's back on May 14th.

Hermano Rojo said...

That sounds like a good plan. I'll see what I can do about booking time off, and I'll be in touch. I haven't seen any of the above mentioned people in quite a while.

Glow Worm said...

If we all get together on the 27th, we can celebrate Chris' adventures and my birthday thus creating wacky adventures of our own!!

None said...

hey poopypants... its about 122pm, and im waiting for you to pick up your phone so i know whether or not to go buy my train ticket for tomorrow. i asked if i could buy yours but i can't because you have to show your ID and whatnot and if we chance it for the morning of they might be booked up. i'm in and out of the house all day today, so leave a msg and tell me what your plan is stan.

i knew you check this more then email so hopefully you read it. :P