Thursday, November 17, 2005

Some things change, others stay the same

In a world where fulfilment is achieved through the consumption of commercial goods, the life of a nomad is almost the antithesis of modern living. When you have to carry everything you own with you, you tend to own less. To a nomad over consuming is a barrier standing in the way of their lifestyle. In the global north, there are fewer and fewer people able to live a traditional nomadic lifestyle. European Roma (Gypsies) have, in many cases, abandoned their traditional lifestyles and joined the global state of sedentary normality. Having never lived a nomadic lifestyle, I can’t vouch for it’s ability to fulfil a person. I do, however, think it’s interesting and important to consider it a valid lifestyle, with lessons pertaining directly to the human experience.

2 comments:

Glow Worm said...

I'm kind of like a nomad. I've got all I own with me in my pack that I carry around. I think the one thing that may separate me from a true nomadic lifestyle is needing to work when I run out of money. But once i have enough saved up, I rome again until I can't go any further. I guess wwoofers are nomads too. I was hoping to be nomadic in Hawai'i, but alas my trusting nature got the better of me! I'll try England in the summer time.

Laura said...

I agree with you and heather. I, also, am known to be somewhat nomadic. I have a permanent address, but in the year since I moved in there, I have only lived there for 2 months. Choosing others\wise, to move from temptation to temptation. And, of course to not bring a lot of 'goods' with me. In fact, when i returned from Miami in september (after 6 months) I came with only the clothes i was wearing, my journal and my wallet. I say, keep it minimal. with the blogger world out there now, we don't need physical objects to remember where we've been or what we've been up to. And, Heather, my trusting nature screwed me over in Miami, probably not dissimilarly to your experience. I would, however, choose wilfull (and risky) trust in the inherent good of humanity over the alternative cynnicism and no-risk lives that most people seem to lead.
no risk = no gain.