Friday, June 30, 2006

I write what follows, with glowing heart!

I've managed to find a few interesting tidbits of Canadiana that I would like to share with you. The first is the proposed Canadian flag pictured above. Of all those pictured on the net, this is the one I liked the most. Something else of note is the recent completion of an eleven year project to create the world's most Canadian guitar. They combined parts of . . .

* Louis Riel's schoolhouse
* John A. Macdonald's liquor cabinet
* The Bluenose II
* Maurice Richard's 1955-56 Stanley Cup ring
* Pierre Trudeau's canoe paddles
* Cape Race lighthouse (received the distress signal from the doomed Titanic)

. . . and SO MUCH more. Each element represents a story, and I hope to hear/see/read some of them on their website in the near future.

My third factoid isn't quite as esoteric. It's the CBC radio one. I've been extolling the virtues of this station for years, and despite some recent changes designed to attract a broader audience, I still think it's the best thing on the airwaves.

3 comments:

Glow Worm said...

Where and how on earth do you find these things?! You're internet search skills amaze me!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't t agree more. CBC is great for anyone, any age. Its excellent to listen to wherever you work if you are there alone or on long car drives between whatever music you brought.I'm am glad to have someone in my life to share that interest.

However, Louis Riel tends to make my stomach flip in bad way. I can't help but associate him with they way history was taught at my school growing up. I was very sick of him by the times I switched out of the french system. I'm sure you have NEVER heard this story before....isn't it great?? ;)

Hermano Rojo said...

Glow Worm - There are two secrets I have regarding internet searches. First, I have A LOT of downtime at work to look stuff up. Second, the story about the guitar I heard about on the CBC (everything is falling into place) and only used the internet to look up the details.

Shabu - My brother wrote a project about Louis Riel in elementary school and decided to make his presentation in the form of a film. I was asked to help, but mostly I just played little pranks on them. So my memories of Louis Riel are nothing but solid gold!