Monday, July 02, 2007

Progress

It's been a while since I've updated this blog, and so many things have happened. It's been even longer since I wrote in my travel diary. I've been spending all my time having adventures, and not leaving enough time to chronicle them all.

Galway is the graveyard of ambition. It's been said again and again and I think I understand why. I met a guy two nights ago from Florida. He's been in Galway for 3 years now, and his life takes place in a triangle about 400 meters across. He lives in a flat that overlooks shop street where he busks, which is in turn beside his local pub. He says he counted the steps he made one day, and it was only 40.

I take MANY more steps than that in a day (I mean, I live in Salthill) but my life has likewise been simplified. I don't really buy groceries, I just go with people when they're going to eat and contribute a little to the cause. I've had authentic Italian pasta, Jamaican curry chicken, Spanish omelettes all cooked by folks who grew up in each respective country, and know what they're doing.

It's going to be hard to leave Galway, but it's gotta happen. I'll probably only stick around for another week or so, for the arts festival, but leave before race week.

No comments: